When the Covid-19 pandemic struck, forcing businesses to close at short notice, the country’s biggest unplanned social experiment was launched, as millions of people were compelled to stay at and work from home. Three years on, many businesses have adopted remote working as part of the business landscape, with one-quarter of people participating in a hybrid approach to their jobs, according to data from the Office for National Statistics. New co-working spaces have also sprung up across the UK, with the industry expected to achieve a Combined Annual Growth Rate of nearly 10 per cent per annum in the next five years.
The benefits and challenges of remote working
It is generally accepted that remote working – on a full-time or a hybrid basis – offers important benefits for employees and businesses alike, including:
- Increased productivity (according to 85 percent of business leaders).
- Improved work-life balance.
- Better staff retention.
- Reduced need for office spaces, leading to lower costs.
- Increased staff motivation.
Remote working, however, isn’t without its challenges. Staff members may feel isolated, particularly without the mechanisms to collaborate and communicate with colleagues. Technical problems may be slower to resolve, and employees may find it difficult to access the business data they need to execute their roles quickly and accurately.
So, how can cloud-based intranet software for small businesses help to solve the challenges of remote working?
The role of an intranet in remote working
A personalized intranet portal enables teams to stay connected from wherever they are working. Packed with intuitive tools to enhance productivity, facilitate collaboration, and improve data access, a cloud-based intranet solution is an integrated digital workplace that keeps workers in touch and involved, in the office, at home, or in any other remote location.
With all information and tools centralized for easy access, an intranet can help small and middle-size enterprises to overcome the challenges of remote working, putting communication, collaboration, and project management first.
The must-have features for enhanced collaboration and employee engagement
- Video conferencing: Empower staff to meet face-to-face, even in remote locations, to improve collaboration, productivity, and efficiency.
- Real-time messaging: Eliminate wasted time checking emails and frustrating delays while staff wait for colleagues to respond, by enabling employees to instantly obtain the answers to queries.
- Document sharing: Improve collaboration by instantly sharing key documents, without the need to print and exchange information in person.
- Task management: Give your team ownership of their work and improve transparency so that line managers can monitor workflows effectively.
- Intranet calendar: Manage your team’s work schedules with an easy-to-use calendar, so everyone knows when and where they need to be, even if they are working from home.
Implementing a cloud-based intranet is most successful when all stakeholders are involved in the process, with clear objectives, training, and support offered so that staff understand how to use the software remotely and where to go for signposted advice and information.
Arrange a free demo of our cloud-based intranet for small businesses
To arrange a free personalized demonstration of our intranet for small businesses, please get in touch today.